Wednesday, October 14, 2009

SI Workshop Disclaimer




Ok. So I may have mislead you about this children's book workshop Sean and I are giving. I sort of billed it as a 'make your dream come true by writing your inner children's story'... since, of course, everyone has a children's book they want to write, or at least an idea that is destined to be a Dr. Seuss-style classic. Don't get me wrong, our workshop should provide would-be children's book illustrators with handy tips & info about the biz, as well as (hopefully) plenty 'o inspiration. Please note: Sean and I are primarily illustrators, and this workshop (held at The Society of Illustrators) is mainly geared toward visual artists. Between us, we have published precisely ONE book that was authored by exactly ONE of us, and that single person just happens to be me. In other words, our writing-for-children expertise is minimal. Truth be told, for the past year or so I've been working on developing a few new stories and it hasn't come easy. Finding my own voice and creating a narrative is a whole new world! I'm used to sketching, making book dummies, painting, gluing down collage and doing all things visual. I have ideas, but the words do not come as easy. Despite my single publication, I hesitate to even label myself an author. In any event, together with Sean we have illustrated over 10 books, and with my experience in writing thus far, we hope to offer some useful advise for newbies out there!

Before you sign up, here are some basics:

- most children's picture books are 32 - 40 pages
- children's book text alone is about 2 pages
- the Publisher likes to match up illustrator with author (unless you do both!)
- SCBWI.org (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) - if you're just starting out this site is a great resource.

Please don't let my disclaimer stop you from coming to our workshop! It's on October 28th, and coincides with the Original Art Show at the Society of Illustrators. It should be chock full of inspiration... at the very least!

No comments: